Interlink on Interpersonal Interdependence

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at 12:03 AM
Today, I realized how much my happiness is dependent on the people surrounding me. My friends, and the kind of social life I can enjoy, these things all have a heavier impact on me than I recognized. I thought maybe I was alone in my feelings, but after polling a few friends, I found that they seem to think the same thing.

It's curious why these thoughts never occurred to me during undergrad. It's possible that I had a preconceived notion of how I should live my life at that time. Also, I had a stable and constant girlfriend, so that no matter how my friends changed, I always had a best friend with me. I also went to school in my hometown, so I was surrounded by familiarity. While this certainly shows that I am currently grasping for stability and familiarity, I clearly remember not needing these things even just a few months ago. In fact, for most of my life, I remember not needing anchors to hold me steady.

Perhaps something about me changed after decided to leave MIT. The fact that I'm looking for stability suggests that I have some fear of the unknown right now. This is really not helpful to me; I'll need to think about this some more.

-Howitzer

0 comments

Post a Comment

Howitzer | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com | Distributed by Deluxe Templates