Boiled Dinner

Sunday, March 13, 2011 at 11:07 PM
In the spirit of St. Patrick's day coming up soon, Starmarket is having a sale on everything you need to make a boiled dinner. $1.49/lb corned beef, and similar prices for 5lb bags of potatoes and carrots. It's ridiculous. I think I just may have 4-5 meals for about $8.

The first time I had a boiled dinner was from the Blue Leprechaun in Ann Arbor. One night, I suddenly remembered hearing about this "boiled dinner" as being someone's favorite meal. I thought it was interesting, since the meal certainly didn't sound that great. It wasn't. The boiled potatoes, carrots, and cabbage were tasteless. I'm pretty sure they boiled it in water, and heated up some corned beef for me. I was pretty disappointed, and never thought of the boiled dinner again.

Until last week, when Starmarket began having their aforementioned sale. Saturday night, after drinking at the bar, I popped over to the grocery store (open 24/7). What a bad idea. As I walked around, seeing the boiled dinner sale, I caved in and bought things to make a boiled dinner on impulse. As soon as I got home, I started to regret myself. "Never again am I going shopping after drinking."

Well, today, I actually made a boiled dinner, and I have to say, the smell of corned beef in my apartment is driving me crazy. The stuff was freaking amazing. The potatoes and vegetables actually have the taste of beef in them, because I cooked them with the corned beef broth. Oh man, I'm having such a hard time going to sleep right now, because I want to eat the food I just finished making. So instead, I'm writing a blog post about it.

My first meal from the corned beef will be lunch tomorrow. I'm hoping my Bostonian labmate will see what I'm eating.

- Howitzer

0 comments

Post a Comment

Howitzer | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com | Distributed by Deluxe Templates