Warriors and Sacrifices

Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 8:16 PM
I wanted to add something to my post on Veteran's day. I posted about the suffering that our soldiers went through, and basically said that we should appreciate what they are doing. It's easy to assume that I meant that our armed services are making sacrifices to defend us from harm. That's really the simplistic way to look at it. If the US military is defending us, they must be defending us from them. Them being who? The rest of the world? The bad guys? No, it's too easy to see us as good, and them as bad.

Humanity's soldiers sacrifice themselves to cover up our weaknesses, our tendency towards greed and single-mindedness. Conflicts are an unavoidable part of the human psyche. We continually strive to benefit ourselves, often at the expense of others. Because we are unable to share resources, or because resources are scarce (the same really, we create scarcity), we fight amongst each other. Sadly, it is our soldiers who sacrifice their lives to prevent the greater whole from killing each other.

So yes, I will venerate our soldiers for sacrificing, but it's not just because they protect me from my enemies. They represent my and humanity's weaknesses.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Howitzer | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com | Distributed by Deluxe Templates