Another Great Food Safari in New York

Sunday, November 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM
I just came back today from another trip to New York. Every time I go, I have such fun trying all sorts of food. This weekend's tally:

Carnitas tacos @some food truck near 86th and 4th - these were the best carnitas I've ever had. I never expected to find anything like this north of the Mason-Dixon. The tacos came with two layers of flour tortillas(though I prefer corn), lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, topped with two slices each of cucumber and radishes. I wasn't sure how the vegetable slices would be, but after sprinkling my taco with a citrus lime juice, the crisp freshness of the slices balanced well.

Toasted marshmallow shakes @Stand, near Union Square - another amazing dining experience. I could actually taste the toastiness of the toasted marshmallow. They also put two giant, fluffy, toasted marshmallows in my shake. Marshmallow shakes are already deliciously creamy. How do you make it better? By adding some caramel through toasting. Mmm..

Coconut shrimp sandwich @ Num Pang, near Union Square - directly across the street from toasted marshmallow shakes was this hole in the wall vietnamese sandwich shop. I had a coconut shrimp sandwich, served with cilantro, cucumber, carrot, and lettuce, topped with a chili mayonnaise spread. The buttery, creamy coconut shrimp balanced well with the spice of the chili mayonnaise. The mayo provided just enough heat to tweak the flavor, but not really enough to set fire to your tongue. The bread was good too. Their bread was slightly buttery, adding a nice aroma to my mouth while chewing.

Red velvet cupcake with a cream cheese frosting @NoHo - Just a classic red velvet cake cupcake, with a cream cheese based frosting. The red velvet cake provided a good, moist sweetness, while the cream cheese frosting added a tang to the taste. Overall, scrumptious.

Souvlakis and feta fries @ Souvlaki GR in SoHo - Sold from a food truck. The food here, along with the carnitas tacos from before, epitomize what good street food is to me. Greasy hot, filling, and satisfying. Wrapped neatly in a thick, warm pita bread, the souvlaki had onions, tender grilled pork, and fries inside. A generous helping of tzatziki provided a cooling contrast to the savory filling. The feta fries were also great. Piping hot fries just like those you'd get from fairgrounds, topped generously with crumbled feta cheese, and seasoned strongly with oregano. The oregano provided a strong aromatic mouth feel, while the cheese and fries filled me up. I was so stuffed at this point.

Tiago: "You are a trooper with the street food."

0 comments

Post a Comment

Howitzer | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com | Distributed by Deluxe Templates