Loneliness in a New Place

Friday, September 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM
I wrote this earlier this week. Things are somewhat better, but I still feel lonely on occasion.

Previously written:

I guess I should write about this, while it's still fresh on my mind. Moving to Boston feels really lonely. I didn't realize how strong I felt it last time, but I recognize it this time. It makes sense if you think about it; all my friends, my local hangouts, favorite things to do, all of those things are gone. While I might have everything I need in my new home, Boston, they aren't as familiar. I have to worry about my necessities being available and reliable. For example, I don't have a go-to spot to grab a quick bite to eat yet, near my apartment. There're lots of great restaurants (cheap pho!), but I just haven't settled on anything yet. Stuff like this is unsettling. I know I'm not alone either, because I have friends who have moved to new places recently who are feeling the same things I am.

At the end of today, like most days, I lingered in the office. I didn't want to go home, because there wasn't much to do there. I don't have anyone to hang out with around my apartment yet. As a result, I feel like the only thing I can do when I go home is cook, eat, and play starcraft 2. Hardly something to look forward to. This was the same problem that I ran into last year.

The solution? Given that I don't really need to do work once I come home, maybe I'll look into attending those free concerts around town. Or see if there are other activities to do. Or maybe see if my lab mates are up for something. I think some of them don't do much at night either. That, or get my motorcycle ASAP. I'm sure I'll have plenty to do once I get on wheels :)

-Howitzer

0 comments

Post a Comment

Howitzer | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com | Distributed by Deluxe Templates