The Butterfly Effect

Friday, September 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM
So my days have been relatively busy this week. I've at least had events to go to, homework to write, a presentation to prepare, workouts to do. This weekend I'm going to eat hot pot with some of my chinese lab members, and then the bar. I'm trying to show them the American bar culture. I'm also going to a motorcycle store again (a different one), and sailing. It seems that I'm able to keep my Fridays and Saturdays pretty busy, after which I will need some to buckle down some on Sunday to do some work. My work is piling up, and I'm starting to feel like I can't maintain these 10-6 work days only during the week.

It's pretty undeniable now that life here is getting better for me. I'm starting to feel like I have a network that is building up. Funny how things have changed from a year ago. At this point last year, I felt like I didn't know anyone. I had one iffy person to call if I wanted to go do something on a Saturday night.

I guess the difference in this year didn't come from any drastic change in strategy or circumstances. I mean, I've changed since last year, and my situation in returning to school has changed too, but I don't feel like those have been major factors. If I think about what is really different this year, I can point to just a few things. I had a lot of friends that I could call when I *just* got here, so I didn't feel lonely all the time. I'd have to say this was probably the biggest change. Even so, having a lot of friends elsewhere only gave me a temporary boost. I'd say a total of maybe 2-3 people made this year different. I met this guy Kris, randomly at a bank back in my hometown, who I found out was moving to Boston the same time I was. We ended up hanging out here in Boston, and it's been good. The second guy I met was a new student in my lab, from China. I didn't expect him to amount to much of a friend, because he was chinese, and I mostly didn't think we'd be able to relate as well.

So it seems that all these little things that happen by chance have turned into good things for me. I've always known that in life, you can't create opportunities, but you can be ready to take advantage of them when they appear. I guess I just for what it would be like to take advantage of an opportunity. One of my best friends from college, I remember, I used to think was really nerdy. Actually, I was kinda annoyed at him. But we ended up rooming together and had a great year together.

That's not to say little things *always* and *only* little things cause big changes. I'm at MIT because of many small factors, but also because I studied a lot for my GRE's, and I worked hard during the application process.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Howitzer | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com | Distributed by Deluxe Templates