Left the Lights Running = Dead Motorcycle Battery

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM
Yesterday, as I went out for a late snack (~10pm), I shockingly realized that I left my keys in my motorcycle. Worse, I left the lights on all day, and the battery was dead by the time I got to it. Oh man...I was stuck at school with my poor motorcycle gasping for juice. Crap. To make matters worse, I had to meet a friend back at my apartment, because he was staying the night while visiting Boston. Crap.

I ended up waking up at 6:30am today with him, because he had to catch a flight. Meanwhile, I left for school with my battery tender in hand, hoping to get my motorcycle charged up quickly. I tore down the bike, pulled the battery, and linked it to the battery tender to be charged. Today was supposed to be a warm day, in the 40'sF, so I wanted to get in a good ride in the afternoon. 3 hours later, I check the power light, and notice that it's still charging. Dang. The voltmeter showed only 6V, with 12V being fully charged. After further research online and some calculations, I realized that it can take a long time to fully charge a motorcycle battery. Specifically, 18 hours using the combination of my battery tender and battery. Crap.

I'm now in motorcycle withdrawal mode. I have to take the subway back home tonight, and tomorrow morning. At least now I know, it takes a long time to charge a motorcycle battery.

Edit: It ended up taking 3-4 days for my battery to fully charge to 12.6V, using a 750mA battery tender. Afterwards, from researching online, people told me that battery tenders are not built for fully charging a battery, hence the long recharging times. Also, jump starting my motorcycle battery with a car engine was NOT RECOMMENDED. Something about likely destroying the puny motorcycle battery with too much current.

-Howitzer

0 comments

Post a Comment

Howitzer | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com | Distributed by Deluxe Templates