Sun-kissed skin

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 12:32 PM
Ahh...the beach in Barcelona. Today (Wednesday), we spent a lazy afternoon eating lunch, and then lounging around at the beach. Otherwise, an uneventful day.

Fried potatoes, onions, and eggs.

Chicken in an olive sauce, with green and tomatoes.

Seafood stew with rice, shrimp, peppers.


The beach was pretty cool. I swam out to these huge rocks a ways out from the beach. I think they were used to keep the waves down, or something. Anyways, I was pretty proud that I swam that far, because I'm not a great swimmer. Once I got there, it was like I was in a mini reef. Fish, abalones, and sea urchins galore! I pulled some abalones and sea urchins from their spots, to try to take them back to show Phil and Richard. The abalones were a little tricky to pry from the rocks. I had to catch them while they were lifted up from the rocks and feeding. If I was too slow, they would clamp down against the rock, and be impossible to move. Then I tried to take a sea urchin back to shore to show Richard and Phil. Unfortunately, I had no way to hold them without poking myself. I especially was not going to risk that after someone told me that their stings hurt for months afterwards. So sadly, I wished my sea urchin farewell, and tossed him back into the ocean.

Fish in the sea. Seeing this was awesome.


For dinner, we had paella and fish again, this time swordfish and sea bass. We actually met an Israeli today, and had dinner with him. We found out that he worked for the Israeli intelligence agency, possibly the Mossad, but he didn’t say specifically. The guy was pretty cool. He’s on a three month tour of Europe too, and we might meet up with him again in Paris.

After dinner, we spent the night trying the famed Barcelona night life. People here party all night long, not going home until the sun rise. Guided pub crawls are a common activity to do for tourists. These guides take you to like 3 or 4 different bars, with free drinks and shots along the way, and drop you off at a club, all for a reasonable fee of 10-15 euros. Not surprisingly, you get pretty drunk by the end of one. We didn’t join one though, because we had dinner, and were too late. However, we saw roves of people wandering around the main street La Ramblas, heading to various bars. On an average weekend night, people will eat dinner at 10pm, drink at a bar until 2-3am, and then go party in a club until closing time, which is around 5-6am. I have no idea where people get the stamina for this sort of thing. I think we lasted until around 5am though.

For us, it was back to the hostel for an hour of sleep (Richard), and then off to the airport to catch our flight to our next destination, the wonderful city of lights, Paris.

-Howitzer

0 comments

Post a Comment

Howitzer | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com | Distributed by Deluxe Templates